Tuesday marks one-year anniversary of Deputy Bares’ death

Many remember where they were and what they were doing the first time they heard about 9/11. For members of the Sheriff’s Office, they can remembers exactly what they were doing when they learned Deputy Allen Bares Jr. had been shot multiple times.
The day was June 23, 2014. Tuesday marks the one-year anniversary of his death.
Bares was mowing a yard on South Hospital Drive, located South of Abbeville. He saw something suspicious at a house near where he was mowing. He called it into the Sheriff’s Office.
He was shot and robbed by two men who were leaving after they allegedly burglarized a home.
Sheriff Mike Couvillon and Col. Kirk Frith can recall the details of what they were doing and where they were at when they received the phone call just after 4 p.m.
“It is like the 9-11 attack on our country. It is engraved in your memory forever as to where your were and what you were doing, “ Col. Kirk Frith. “You can remember where you were and what you were doing.”
“I remember exactly,” said Sheriff Couvillon. “I was in Cow Island with my grandson. I got the phone call saying Allen was shot.”
After getting the tragic call, the first person he called was his daughter to come pick up her son because he had to leave. One of his deputies had been shot and he needed to get to the hospital as quick as possible.
“My heart dropped,” he said. “It brought back the memories when Todd (Vincent) was shot and killed in 2000.”
Col. Frith said, “I was at home and got the phone call. For a few seconds I was silent. The news I got was, ‘Allen has been shot.’ The first question I asked was, “Is he OK?’ The answer I got was, “We don’t know yet. That is when your heart starts racing and everything goes through your mind.”
Col. Frith thought the worst and prayed that Allen was not dead. His law enforcement instinct kicked in right away after the phone call. He began gearing up and located his rifle.
“I knew there was not apprehension and the hunt would probably be on.”
After learning Bares did not survive the gun shot and died at the hospital, Frith and Couvillon consoled his wife, Tina. They also knew as the No. 1 and No. 2 ranked deputies of the Sheriff’s Office, they had to organize one of the largest manhunts Vermilion Parish has scene.
“I remember at some point and time, the Sheriff and I had to leave,” Col. Frith added. “We had a big job ahead of us. I remember hugging Tina and telling her I did not want to leave her and Allen, but the Sheriff and I had a big job to do. I told her we had to find, ‘the worthless animals who killed Allen.’”
Eight hours after the alleged murder, the Sheriff’s Office had one person in custody for the shooting. The next night, a second suspect was in jail.
Charged with the murders were Quintylan Richard and Baylon Taylor. The two men also stole Bares’ truck and trailer containing a lawn mower
In less than 48 hours, two suspects were in jail and charged with First Degree Murder. A year later, they are still in jail and no court date has been set for their trial.
Sheriff Couvillon said his department is not planning any special ceremony on the one-year anniversary.

PLEASE LOG IN FOR PREMIUM CONTENT

Our website requires visitors to log in to view the best local news from Vermilion Parish. Not yet a subscriber? Subscribe today!

Follow Us

Site Links

Subscriber Links