Abbeville Police stop a rooster fighting ring in Abbeville
The fighting was allegedly taking place under a gazebo in the back yard.
After a three week investigation into a possible rooster fighting ring in Abbeville, the Abbeville Police Department arrested seven people in connection with the rooster fighting ring.
The investigation began on May 16 when the Abbeville Police Department received information about rooster fighting at a residence on the 200 block of South Oliver Street in Abbeville.
Abbeville Police Department Patrol Division initiated an investigation.
During the investigation, it was learned that several subjects were gathering on the property of a residence located on the 200 block of S. Oliver St. where they were rooster fighting.
Rooster fighting was alledgedly being conducted in the back yard of a residence which was surrounded by a tall wooden fence.
The occupant of the residence was also allowing the sale of alcoholic beverages to the people attending. The alcoholic beverages were being sold by a Juvenile. The subjects involved were placing bets on the roosters during the fights.
After gathering evidence and identifying the persons involved, warrants were obtain for the arrest of the persons involved.
During the early morning hours on Wednesday, several officers went door to door attempting to locate the suspects and arrest them on the warrants.
• Carleen Grogan, 23 years old of S. Oliver St. Abbeville.
Charges: Letting a Disorderly Place; Bond was set at $2,000. Grogan posted bond.
• Greg Meaux, 31 years old of S. Louisiana St. Abbeville.
Charges: Participating in Rooster fighting. Bond was set at $1,000.00. Meaux posted bond.
• Reid Maihles, 51 of W. Wildcat Road in Abbeville.
Charges: Participating in Rooster fighting
Bond was set at $1,000.00. Maihles posted bond.
•Michael Wiltz, 59 years old of South Gertrude St. of Abbeville.
Charges: Participating in Rooster fighting; Bond was set at $1,000.00. Wiltz posted bond.
• Roland J. Brailey, Jr., 36 years old of South Bailey Street in . Abbeville.
• Rooster fighting; Contributing to the Delinquency of Juveniles; Operating Alcohol Sales without a Permit; Bond was set at $13,000. Brailey posted bond.
• Lawrence Harris, Jr., 54 years old of Israel Parker Street in Abbeville.; Charges: Participating in Rooster fighting
Bond was set at $1,000.00. Harris posted bond.
• Dasakima Taylor, 33 years old of S. Gertrude Street in Abbeville.; Charges: Rooster fighting Letting a Disorderly Place; Bond was set at $12,000.00. Taylor was transported to Vermilion Parish Correctional Center for holding.
The investigation in on-going and more arrests are expected.
Abbeville Police Department would to thank the concerned citizens for reporting the illegal activity and urges anyone who witnesses illegal activity to contact Abbeville Police Department by phone at (337) 893-2511. All persons will remain anonymous.