Welsh pounds Tigers in season’s final game 54-21


Sun Times Editor

In the final analysis, six turnovers were just too much for the Lake Arthur Fighting Tigers to overcome, as they fell to their hated parish rivals, the Welsh High School Greyhounds, by a final score of 54-21 in the District 5-2A Title game held this past Friday evening, November 7, 2008 at Greyhound Stadium in Welsh.

The Greyhounds used a bruising ground game to rush for 328 yards, while adding 100 more through the air. The lopsided league defeat kept Lake Arthur out of the 2008 La. State Class 2A Football Playoffs, as well.

The Tigers (5-5, 2-1) won the coin toss to open the contest and chose to defer to the second half.

After the kickoff return, Welsh’s first play from scrimmage produced a fumble, giving the visiting Tigers the football at the Greyhound 25-yard-line.

Tiger quarterback Colby Lavergne then dropped back and found senior receiver Josh Turner running a fly pattern on the right side of the football field, hitting him in stride for a 25-yard touchdown strike.

Tiger kicker Spencer Royer tacked on the extra point, giving Lake Arthur a 7-0 advantage just seconds into the ball game.

Welsh (6-3, 3-0) would cut that margin down moments later, as quarterback Michael Carraway found wideout Keegan Ryder over the middle with a 37-yard scoring strike.

The PAT kick failed, but Welsh was down just one at 7-6.

The Greyhounds regained possession of the football again and used a punishing rushing attack to reach the Tiger 11, where Carraway scooted around left end for another Greyhound score.

The try for a two-point conversion failed, but Welsh was off and running with a 12-7 lead as the first quarter came to an end.

Welsh would begin to assert their dominance in the second period, as running back Kade Frey took a Carraway handoff and burst through the middle of the Tiger defense untouched for a 49-yard touchdown run.

The two-point pass attempt was incomplete, but the Greyhounds had extended their advantage to 18-7 early in the second quarter of play.

The Tigers responded with a nice offensive drive of their own, converting a key fourth down to reach the Greyhound 15.

Lavergne went to the air again and found junior receiver Jacob Martin on a square-in route, and the smooth-handed youngster took the reception in for a Tiger score.

Royer converted the PAT kick, and the Tigers trailed just 18-14 midway through the second quarter.

The Greyhounds quickly responded with a scoring drive before the half ended, culminating it with another Carraway scoring strike to William Joseph from 10 yards away.

The PAT kick was added by Andrew Latiolais, as the Greyhounds took a commanding 25-14 lead to the dressing room at the half.

Martin would torch Welsh with another touchdown reception to open the third stanza, this time from the Greyhound 15, and after another Royer PAT kick, the Tigers pulled within striking distance at 25-21.

Welsh would then salt away the contest with four unanswered touchdowns, taking a relatively easy 54-21 win and claiming the Championship of District 5-2A.


Our website requires visitors to log in to view the best local news from Vermilion Parish. Not yet a subscriber? Subscribe today!