Bomb threat at the University of Louisiana-Lafayette
LAFAYETTE - The University of Louisiana at Lafayette was quickly shut down on Wednesday after a 5:30 a.m. bomb threat was called in.
The threat shut down the roads on and around the Lafayette campus on Wednesday, and orientation and other on-campus activities were suspended for the day and rescheduled for later.
The university accounted for all students who were still on the campus (5,500 had been enrolled in summer classes) after they were rounded up and evacuated. Some were bussed to the Cajundome to wait out the threat, while others sat at City Hall, watching movies until the all-clear to return to campus was sounded. Along with the 5,500 summer students, another 400 incoming freshmen were attending orientation on the campus. The bomb threat was called into KATC TV 3.
“Our morning show producer said the unidentified male called into the newsroom, using expletives to relay the message about two devices on UL’s campus,” their website said. “He said one device was at Girard Park in a white trash can; the other device ‘would have to be found.’ Police were immediately contacted, and the phone records are being reviewed.”
A large police force was on scene as the suspicious packages, one at Girard Park. That package was not an explosive device, but was made to look like one, according to authorities.
The “possible second device,” according to State Trooper Brooks David, was discovered around the time the first device was being rendered sage.
However, in a later press conference, authorities said there was no second device, contrary to the report. They did, however, order UL to remain closed for the remainder of the day. No suspects have been taken into custody.
Drivers were asked throughout the day to avoid roadways around the school, including Johnston Street, St. Mary Boulevard, South College Road, West Pinhook, and others.
- Log in to post comments
