Maurice officer found not guilty
MAURICE — A Maurice police officer involved in a fatal crash more than three years ago has been found not guilty of negligent homicide.
Judge Michelle Breaux issued a not guilty verdict for Willis Thomas Monday afternoon. The trial had no jury, with only Breaux hearing the case.
Thomas had been indicted for negligent homicide after being involved in a 2012 crash that claimed the life of 83-year-old Paul Suire of Abbeville. The crash also left Suire’s wife with injuries.
The crash occurred on Oct. 11, 2012 on U.S. Hwy. 167 (Maurice Avenue) near the village’s main stretch. Thomas was reportedly responding to a dispatch from the Vermilion Parish Sheriff’s Office. According to State Police, Thomas was driving north on U.S. 167 in his marked unit with lights and sirens running when he allegedly slammed into a 2008 Mercury car driven by Paul Suire. Suire had stopped at a stop sign before pulling out in front of Thomas, State Police have said.
According to Maurice Police Chief Warren Rost, Thomas remains an employee of the Maurice Police Department. Rost said Thomas remains pout on workman’s comp as a result of injuries related to the crash.
Thomas faced the possibility of up to five years in prison had he been found guilty.
- Log in to post comments
